As per the terms of the MC-CAM Research Agreement executed between UCSB and the Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation (MCC), publication and public presentations of research results arising from MC-CAM funded projects are recognized as important components of the overall program. Nevertheless, the Research Agreement stipulates a review period prior to submission of materials for publication or presentation:
11. Publication. The University will have the right, at its discretion, to release information or to publish any material resulting from its performance hereunder. The University will furnish Mitsubishi with a copy of any proposed written or oral publication at least thirty (30) days prior to submission for publication. Upon written notification by Mitsubishi, the University agrees to delete any of Mitsubishi's confidential information as set forth in Article 10, above, and/or to delay publishing such proposed publication an additional sixty (60) days, or longer upon the mutual written agreement of the University and Mitsubishi, to protect the potential patentability of any invention described therein.
Beyond these general terms, the following guidelines should be followed in preparing materials for publication or presentation that pertain to MC-CAM supported projects:
- Materials should be supplied to Sara Bard, email@example.com, in electronic form (PDF preferable) no later than 30 days prior to the date of submission for presentation or publication. Sara will promptly forward materials to the appropriate MCC Personnel for review. Abstracts for future publications and presentation are subject to an abbreviated review and must be submitted no later than 7 days prior to the date they are due.
- Authors or presenters should contact Sara no later than 7 days prior to the date of submission or presentation if clearance from MCC has not been received by that date.
- Authors who are notified by MCC that publication should be delayed to protect the patentability of an invention are encouraged to immediately contact Sara Bard,firstname.lastname@example.org (x7913), or Mary Raven in the UCSB Office of Technology & Industry Alliances Office, email@example.com (x5209), to seek guidance on patent preparation. The involvement of UCSB and MCC employees in the invention should be documented at that time. Provisional filings are encouraged if a substantial delay in publication would be damaging to the personnel on the project.
- Authors should add "Mitsubishi Chemical Center for Advanced Materials" before "University of California, Santa Barbara" as an affiliation in the title section of manuscripts or presentation materials. Accordingly, MC-CAM does NOT have to be mentioned in a separate acknowledgment section.